Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Presenting the First Ever Topeka 5-50K Trail UnRun

What is an UnRun, you ask?  Why, it's just a Fat A-- run (history) without the profanity.  :) 

Basically it boils down to:
  • no fees
  • no awards
  • no aid
  • no whimps
But I'm a whimp, I hear you cry!  Not to worry...I am pleased to announce that the Topeka UnRun will accommodate runners wanting to only get in a few miles and avoid (most of) the nastier hills.  Since I plan on running long, I will be moving slowly, making this a good time to come out and run a bit on the trails if you haven't tried it before.  I will also be running for about 5-6 hours, so feel free to join in a bit later in the day...with the loop course you can start wherever/whenever you want.

The date is currently set for Saturday, November 16.  Start time will be sometime between sunrise and 11:00 or so, depending on who wants to show up when.  I don't like getting out of bed real early, but I will show up if someone wants to get in the full 50K and expects to need all the available daylight to do it.

The course will be loops of the wooded trails of Ceder Crest and the Kaw Valley River State Park.  The start/finish line will be where the trail crosses "hill repeat road" at the base of the hill near the river and the parking lots.  There will be apx. 3-1/2 to 4 mile loops on each side (the Kaw and Ceder Crest sides), for a total of 7+ miles per full loop.  I will have water at the start/finish area, but you will need to bring your own food.

Stay tuned for course details, for now, here's my last practice run, which is getting close to a final course route.  I like route I took on the second loop of the Kaw side better than the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment